The purpose of this module is to provide learners with insight into the principles of gerontology and the knowledge and skills necessary to put those principles into practice. In addition, learners will develop sufficient understanding to enable them identify the practical benefits that will emerge from the proper and consistent application of these principles
Some of the areas the learner will be proficient in at the end of the course:
- Evaluate a range of common age related psychological changes and their effect on the ageing client
- Assess personal and societal attitudes towards the older person to include issues of stereotyping, perpetuation of attitudes and personal bias
- Assess the importance of cultivating loving relationships throughout life to provide emotional supports to include the ability to address ageing, death and dying
- Evaluate how services in long term care establishments can assist clients and their families to cope with issues of integration and change
- Examine the issues associated with an ageing society to include economics, governmental policy, housing, healthcare and aids to successful ageing
- dentify a range of entitlements available to older citizens in Ireland to include legal entitlements, professional and governmental services and community and national organisations that provide help for older people
Project 50% Learner Record 50%. Learners will receive assignment briefs and guidelines on completing these assessments
Minimum of Level 4 certificate standard of education. Strong interest orworking in providing quality care in a healthcare setting.A strong level of spoken and written English required
Study Mode: Part-Time
Fee: Booking Form available by email to email@example.com or online at www.gmbcollege.ie.
To apply for this course you can directly contact GMB College by:
Tel No: 01 66 24 325
Online: On-line Application
Successful completion enables the learner to transfer to programmes leading to other certificates where this component is a mandatory or an elective requirement at Level 5 & 6.